Mono is a common trigger for adrenal exhaustion. During mononucleosis treatment it is vital that the adrenal glands are considered as part of the plan.
After an illness like the Epstein Barr virus that causes mononucleosis or glandular fever, the body needs time to recover. Plenty of sleep, rest, pure healthy food, sunshine and graded exercise are essential. If these conditions are not met, then the adrenal glands become fatigued or "exhausted". They are then unable to produce adequate amounts of hormones like adrenaline, cortisol and DHEA. The job of these adrenal hormones is to help the body cope with stress.
So what are the symptoms of exhausted adrenals? Well the primary symptom is low energy, lethargy and ongoing fatigue. You may also notice dark circles under your eyes, lowered immunity, a poor sex drive, premenstrual tension, sugar cravings, headaches, poor concentration, unrefreshing sleep and a general loss of interest in life.
If you are looking into mononucleosis treatments, then here are some tips on how to treat adrenal exhaustion and get you feeling better fast!
- You should aim to get adequate sleep. At least 8-10 hours of deep, unbroken sleep a night is required. An afternoon nap can also be very beneficial, but don't leave it too late in the day.
- Regular meditation, yoga or deep breathing can help your body cope with the stress of having mono and make you more resilient to whatever life throws at you.
- Your diet should be low in sugar, white flour, coffee, alcohol, processed foods, smoking and drugs. These vices can make you feel better in the short term but they will drain your adrenals and prolong your recovery if consumed regularly.
- Supplements like vitamin C, the B complex and magnesium, can help repair the adrenal glands and assist in mononucleosis treatment. The omega 3 fatty acids from deep sea fish oils or flaxseed oil can help with fatigue. If you are anemic then taking some iron is important.
- Herbs like licorice and ginseng can boost adrenal function and help with mononucleosis treatment. These herbs can be taken as teas, capsules or liquid tinctures.
- Gentle physical exercise will build up your adrenal strength and stamina. If you are not used to exercise, then please start slowly and build up gently over time. If you are in the early acute stages of mono, then please rest until your body is up to it. If you do too much too soon, you will end up back at square one.
- Make time for laughter, fun and joy in your life. These are great ways to lower your stress levels when treating mononucleosis.
- Be gentle on yourself - don't strive to always be perfect. You can reduce stress simply by learning to go with the flow.
- Celebrate the achievements and victories in your life. During mononucleosis treatment it may only be little things like enjoying a 10 minute stroll, finishing a good book or cooking up a new healthy meal that you can celebrate - that's a good start! Acknowledging your progress will help keep a positive attitude that helps you cope with stress and keeps your adrenals strong.
For more information on adrenal exhaustion and natural mononucleosis treatment then please refer to the e-book Nature's Amazing Mononucleosis Cures by qualified naturopath Elizabeth Noble. Elizabeth has recovered from chronic mono herself, and has treated thousands of patients through her clinics and support groups.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Elizabeth_Noble